Wednesday, December 28, 2011

You Are Not Alone

A great from a free pick up from Starbucks. Sometimes, us singletons, running around this world without that security to come home to, end up feeling like no one understands us -- like we are, in fact, alone in this great big world. It's nice to remember that this feeling of lonliness is usually invalid and fleeting. The lyrics below speak to that - while also impressing upon me to continue to open myself up. This latter point is very difficult for me. I definitely enjoy sharing, but don't really enjoy too much emphasis on me. I don't like to bother or burden people with my over active mind. And, while that's okay some of the time, I continually feel larger walls being built up around my head and, sadly, my heart. And, have even experienced that chick-flick cliche of pushing people (guys) out of my life for no reason other than fear. So, maybe it's trivial to find some clarity and personal action indicators through a few words in a song...but I'll take it. Anything to try and keep myself as open and available as possible. Whatever meaning you take from it, I hope you enjoy the song. ------

Mavis Staples - You Are Not Alone

You're not alone I'm with you, I'm lonely too
What's that song Can't be sung by two?
A broken home, a broken heart Isolated and afraid
Open up this is a raid
I wanna get it through to you
You're not alone
You're not alone,
every night I stand in your place
Every tear on every face Tastes the same
A broken dream, a broken heart
Isolated and afraid
Open up this is a raid
I wanna get it through to you
You're not alone
An open hand, an open heart T
here's no need to be afraid
Open up this is a raid
I wanna get it through to you
You're not alone
I wanna get it through to you
You're not alone
I'm gonna get it through to you
You're not alone

No comments: