Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"Those who wander in the world avowedly and purposely in pursuit of happiness, who view every scene of present joy with an eye to what may succeed, certainly are more liable to disappointment, misfortune and unhappiness, than those who give up their fate to chance and take the goods and evils of fortune as they come, without making happiness their study, or misery their foresight" 

--  Frances Burney

Such an interesting thought. You focus too much on the pursuit of happiness and you're more likely to be disappointed. Release yourself of that focus, allow yourself to take what comes and feel the good and bad, and you're less likely to be disappointed.  

In a way this makes sense -- when you expect the good and get the bad, it hurts more. But - expecting the worst doesn't feel like a better existence to me. 

But maybe that's not what this is saying at all. I think it's saying - just be realistic. 

Have the "come what may" attitude. Feel what you feel when you feel it. Cherish the happy moments. Experience the sad ones.  And, don't let any of them convince you that the next will be the same. 

I like that. Being that I am a realist, that makes sense. :)

2 comments:

jbcorcor said...

There is an awesome book on this theme called The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris. Definitely worth a look :)

http://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Trap-Struggling-Start-Living/dp/1590305841

jbcorcor said...

I just realized with my cryptic username you probably have no idea that "j" is Julia :)