Thursday, February 19, 2009

Experts...or so you think.

Why do I find that when I need to vent about something, everyone around me is an expert on the topic? Or, worse yet... I am now the child and they are the parent consulting me, consoling me, babying me. What about the venting of a tough or confusing situation begs for this type of reaction.

I feel like saying, "Me big girl. Me know it will be okay. Me fine. "

All I want to do is have the release. Have someone know that life is fine - I am fine - but I do wish some things were different. Can't I just discuss this withouthout feeling as though I am an idiot, some naive girl who hasn't yet figured out "life," or like you're better than me because you've already conquered whatever it is I'm dealing with.

I guess this rant makes me sound ungrateful...and I'm not. I appreciate anyone who will lend me an open ear when I need it, and lord knows I often need it. This blog itself is prime example.

BUT, I really implore everyone (myself included) to take a second look at how they react to their friends in need, their friends in pain, their friends in states of confusion. Many times they just need that open ear, or a shoulder to cry on, or a meal out with a friend - and not the judgemental advice, the profound stories 'from experience,' or the condescending words of wisdom that may be UNintentionally making that individual only feel worse.

No comments: