I bought this bouquet on Thursday - a day I was feeling a little low and uncomfortably lonely. And, quite honestly, there's nothing like a fresh bunch of gorgeous foliage to brighten one's sinking spirit.
In any case, I noticed this blooming flower, and how all but on of the petals were blooming in complete alignment with one another - falling in perfect rank. The one outlier was just as beautiful, but it stood out b/c of how it opened up - in a different way, at a different time then all of the other petals.
A stretch for comparison, I suppose, but I can't help but feel this petal is symbolic of me. A person who enjoys conformity and codependence to an extent, but always (whether by choice or not) finds herself in a different realm than those around her. Sporatic dating/relationships, my professional career, my nomad-like moving behavior for the few years following graduation - are all examples of how I've differed from the norm, while still seemingly falling under the comforting constraints of the bell curve.
This petal stood out. It looked more alive. It's as if it had an opinion. It looked happy, but thirsty at the same time. Thirsty for love...thirsty for life..
No comments:
Post a Comment