Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Flying Solo...

I took myself to the movies recently. According to some folks I know, this is a sign that I am completely comfortable with myself. According to other people I know, this is scary, lame, and/or weird.

I guess it doesn't matter what they think. I went because I was feeling lonely, tired, and was in need of a laugh. So, instead of seeing one of the oscar-nominated movies on my list of top choices, I paid the $10.75 to see, "Bride Wars."

First of all, the movie should not have that title. Second, it was funny. Third, wait for dvd...

Okay, I am digressing. The point of this blog was to tell the story of the little old lady that could.

I got to the theater, took my seat, settled in. The theater started to fill up. 3 ladies were climbing the stairs in my direction. 2 took their seats. 1 stayed standing in the stairwell. I was confused because I thought this third woman was with the other two. Nope.

She leaned over and said, "Is anyone sitting there?" ( she was talking about the seat next to me."

I said, "no. it's free"

"You're here alone"

"sigh... yes, I'm here alone" (The worst had happened...my second set of friends were right...scary, lame, weird)

"Oh, me too." She continued, "Don't worry - I'll sit next to you, and no one will know."

Sigh...why can't I just go to a movie alone and not somehow end up feeling crappier about myself than I already did.


Oh well, I got my laugh and then some...especially when my new friend fell asleep during the movie and woke herself up from her snoring...

It was a good day.

No comments: