I realized I haven't shared my sacrifices for Lent, and thought - maybe posting to the blog would help make them official.
So, here they are:
1. Bring lunch 3 days a week.
Rationale: It's healthier and cheaper. Both good things. :
2. Don't proliferate workplace gossip
Rationale: This is a good thing to abide by ALWAYS, though it gets tough. With layoffs and restructurings, people naturally turn to venting as a coping mechanism. And, unfortunately, this venting parlays its way into becoming obligatory, accusatory, and sometimes catty gossip. My goal for lent - be an open ear, a shoulder to lean on...but do not expand or contribute to what is GOSSIP, not relevant information.
3. Sayonara soda...for life.
Rationale: I don't drink soda very much. Maybe once every 6 weeks do I convince myself to have a diet coke. Or, I'll get a craving for a shirley temple. But, why? It never satisfies me and it's almost always too sweet for my liking. So, I'm giving it up - for life. My body doesn't need the extra chemical. I will ALWAYS be able to find an alternative. And, if years down the road, I can't think of anything good to release for my sacrificial 40 days, I can always say, "well, it's okay - b/c I gave this up for LIFE. (note: this doesn't include soda water - which is just water w/ bubbles, and something I quite frequently mix my vodka with. hehe).
There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. It's been a rocky start (primarily in relation to the lunch-bringing objective), but I am committed.
To learn more about why Lent exists, visit your local Wikipedia article today. :)
But why do I, someone NOT so religious, do it? B/C it never hurts to gut-check yourself and test your will-power, strength, and reasoning for why you do (or do NOT) do something.
No comments:
Post a Comment