Monday, April 27, 2009

Sicko

Yes, I stole that title from Michael Moore's movie, but I can't help it - it's too perfect.

People often wonder why I am such a stubborn mule when it comes to going to the doctor. I never ever go, unless I am practically dying or for my annual check-up. The main reason - they NEVER have answers and they almost always screw up.

Today, is another prime example.

I've been trying not to complain, but have been sick for nearly 2 weeks. After feeling like I was on the mend, I woke up Saturday feeling like I was hit by an 18-wheeler. I rested the entire weekend, took meds like it was my job and did anything possible to get well. No dice.

This morning, I thought, "crap - maybe i have strep." I look in the back of my throat - sure enough! white crap resonating (sorry, tmi, i know). So, I say, "go to work, tracy. get some of the must-haves out and get yourself to the doc."

So I do. I get to work, start pushing paper around, call the doc and they schedule me an appointment for 11:40. Great! I'll get in, get my throat culture, hopefully score some stronger medication and be on my way.

Or so I thought...

I get to Kaiser. They can't find my appointment because the nurse scheduled me in the SF office, when I specifically said Redwood City. (WTF - strike one)

So, the nice registration lady sends me to the clinic to talk to the nurse and be seen there (I am hopeful again!). After 20 minutes of waiting, the nurse calls me in only to tell me they can't see me until 1:50 - 2 hours later! (strike two).

I sigh out of frustration and say, "fine, but can you just give me a throat culture now."

"nope. they have to see you. It's too bad too, you look like you don't feel very well at all. (strike three)"

No shit - that's why I am at the doc! I realize this wasn't her fault, but I could not contain my frustration any longer. I said, "you're right. I feel like crap and this is just another way the healthcare system has failed me." (God, I can be such a drama queen.)

Now, many people argue and say, "oh that's because it was Kaiser." Well, folks, I have had the same crappy service and reception under Blue Cross. So, I think PPO and HMO are equally screwed up.

Wah.. (yes I just whined)...I just want to get well...

p.s. this is bad enough, but you should have heard the phone conversation with the advice nurse prior to even getting an appointment. .. :-\

No comments: