Monday, October 5, 2009

Everyday I feel more and more like...

Jane from 27 Dresses.

I watched that movie again this weekend and there are just incredible similarities to the main character and me...BEYOND the multiple bridesmaid thing...

I realized that I very much consume myself with my friend's lives. I mask this 'living vicariously through them,' by telling myself (and them) that it's me just being a good friend and helping them.

I think that it's mostly true. I mean, I definitely only opt-in to help if I really, truly am interested. But, after watching this movie, I couldn't help but realize that I think I actually suffer sometimes because of this. I forget to lead my own life.

I don't resent this, b/c I enjoy helping people - especially my friends/fam - in good times and bad. But, when having a conversation with someone and when asked about YOU, all you can add something about another person's life or event or occasion (aside from work, and just general health, of course), it's very eye-opening.

I even got ridiculed for including a section in last year's Christmas letter on a friend's wedding...which, really makes me sad. It is, in fact, ridiculous that someone else's life is all I had to talk about.

The answer? Who knows, but I think I've got to remember to continue living my life for me...

No comments: