Monday, October 26, 2009

Fly on the wall

Yesterday I had the honor of recording a friend perform at a Memorial Service for one of his friend's, Luke Cole.

There was much anticipation from Kevin on this performance. He wanted to do it right for Luke. He wanted to inspire, give hope, but not be sappy. Mission accomplished.

I was fortunate to see several iterations of the piece and then the final presentation. It was beautiful and inspiring.

However, this wasn't the only touching presentation at the memorial. At first I felt very out of place. Here I was, this outsider imposing on the feelings of a community of individuals brought together for the purpose of celebrating their loved one's life...

But, as I listened to all of the speakers and watched the performers, I felt myself touched by this person, as well. He was a man of unselfish and unyielding do-gooding. Fighting for those who couldn't fight for themselves, all while maintaining mounds of close relationships, being silly, having fun, and experiencing things most of us can't even fathom.

I found myself sitting there, touched by the stories and experiences he brought to these peoples' lives. I found myself reflecting his life onto my own - thinking about people in my life (those here and those who have past). I thought my own memorial and how different it will inevitably, but how I hope that people will use some of the same adjectives to describe me; how I hope that I can inspire those around me in similar ways.

This service and Luke's persona inspired me from beyond the realm of 'this world.' He spoke to me through his family and friends. And, though a fly on the wall... an observer peering in on something that wasn't mine...I was very honored to be there to support my friend. Who knew i would come out of this learning more about me.

May you rest in peace, Luke, knowing your goals and aspirations continue to be realized by those you've affected and inspired.

To learn more about Luke Cole, visit: http://www.crpe-ej.org/

No comments: