I arrived ahead of my team members and spent a couple days by myself. I normally don't mind traveling alone - it's peaceful, you have no-one demanding anything, you can eat when/what you want without feeling like you're imposing, etc. This visit wasn't much of an exception, BUT there were a few times where I thought, "if only The RLD was..well..exactly what everyone tells you it will be like. Prostitutes, novelty stores, glass doors with red velvet curtains, porn, etc.. If you're ever here, you HAVE to go and walk through it once...but only once. Leidesplein Square was interesting...reminded me of Fisherman's Wharf mixed with Union Square. No waterfront, but definitely another touristy area, mixed with good food and funny shops. I bet its amazing when the weather is nice, as all of the cafes have outside seating in the middle of the square. The people here seem allergic to walking. They LOVE bicycling (which is awesome), but walking seems against their nature and that feels funny for Europe. I say this because they have a tram system that is convenient (and a bit scary - no gates, no bells, no warnings when one is coming), but it stops what seems like every 10 feet. For the amount of time and money, you could easily walk to many destinations and not have the expense. Alas, I didn't care -- I walked EVERYWHERE. One day I logged almost 12 miles...and it felt great. More to come...
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Amsterdam
Currently in Amsterdam for work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment