Tuesday, April 19, 2011

European Musings

Some of these probably need more context, but below is a list of quotes, feelings, activities (and pictures) from my recent European adventure. For the full set of pics, see my facebook page.
--------------------------
14 days: SFO >> LHR >> AMS >> MUC >> LHR >> SFO

Culture Code -- like the excerpt. Own full?

Barry Manilow -- take a look at me now...owww...owwww
Hahahahhahahahahaha "coming back to me is against the odds" love that
you have that song. Imstarted giggling in my seat.

Snortswhenshelaughs.com. Sigh... Will have to look up domain costs. :D

100 burpies for time - 5:43.

I thought my wallet had been stolen and couldn't pay for dinner. After trying to explain to the Italian waiter, I was unsuccessful. (He kept thinking I was asking where an ATM was.) I fled the restaurant and jogged across Trafalgar Square - back to my hotel. Found my wallet on the floor of my room. (Phew!) jogged back to the restaurant to pay my bill and was greeted with, "You're back! We thought you ran off on us." it was both scary (no wallet in europe = problem) and embarrassing (looked like I was a shyster) . Awesome. :)

Corey Hotline shanked Yawnimal in the face with an exacto knife after their first workout. Yawnimal used his earrings to stitch up the gash - like any true gangsta would.

Mosquitos give good hugs. Trolls do not.

4/2/11: It's not even 5 am. I went to bed at midnight. On way to Ams. Woke up every hour paranoid I was going to oversleep. Sigh. Zzzzzzz.



Saw a pillow fight in Dam Square; walked through the what felt like the shopping district (though, not the The Negen Straatjes), enjoyed several street markets - including the flower market; ate a traditional dutch pancake; saw some "interesting' sites in the Red Light District; ++ on this springy Amsterdam day. Now - a rest before dinner and a much needed drink.

Quote from wife to husband, "I already told you! We are NOT having curry tonight. I had spicy food for lunch and I am done with spicy food!" bless that poor man.

Tabada - squat-jump and push-up. 8 min. 20 sec work. 10 sec rest.
Count total reps: 240. ++ 3 miles and core work (abs)



4/6/11: up at 6 after 4(ish) hours of sleep. On way to MUC after lively discussion about cyndi lauper songs and her "personal" hobbies.

Waiting to board, 4 gregarious individuals (read: German men) hovering over me when the gate seating area was nearly empty. Loud Germans in the early morning = frowny. Flight has been good, but plane and flight attendants remind me of the beginning to "view from the top"(gweneth paltrow movie). Scary!!



7 days until home. Trace-Case is glad to be here, but misses bed/sleeping, friends, US prices, vegetables, etc

Just got on S-bahn...dear lord, please let me be going in the right direction. Phew...successfully read a map and on my way. Note to self: learn new languages. French. Then German. Then brush up on Spanish.

At least in Germany I look like I fit in...except, of course, that I am about 3 feet shorter than the other women.

Drunken German man singing "hotel motel holiday inn." (Saturday)

Woody woodpecker laugh. When's the last time you thought of woody woodpecker

Munich is a great city. Great ppl. Beautiful. Fairly easy to navigate. Wish I were here with friends.

Bread. Sweets. Meat. Coffee/cappuccino/frappuccino. Beer. And always eating. Whoa.
Beer, roasted beef, pretzel, potato for dinner. Awone outside. Ppl watching. Greg mortensen - 3 cups of tea. Andy. Leadership coach.

Living here would take serious getting used to. Needing less carbs is not something that feels common.

Feel soft and out of shape. Miss friends. Tired. Wish I could communicate. Lonely. Think social media doesn't help at these times -- I can still "connect" but I can't actually connect... So it all feels artificial. Will miss my iPass colleagues once state-side. Part of me wishes i would have moved for eddie's job and hired someone for n. America. Love European way of life (with slight dietary exceptions, noted) and attitude. Traveling hard bc alone, but living here would be different.

Mani/Pedi, tan, massage, GYM.

Routine. Hotels. Forgetting where I am. Working too much. Double shifts. Averaging <5 hours of sleep/night. Yet -- don't feel missed. MBOs, plan, HR discussion, dt mtg, trip report, Paris/Rome in June. Sales leadership.

1:30pm on a Sunday in MUC feels like 1030am. Businesses in weiner-platz closed except for cafes. Could easily sit out on sun all day. Wonder if dt Munich has same feeling. Methinks not. Should have gone into "dressing room" and "living room" yesterday.


Moooooooo


4/12: LHR to SFO on the way


"my oh my you're so good looking. Hold yourself together like a pair of bookends... But who are you when I'm not lookin'" -- some cute country song on the plane audio.

Just watched Hot Rod and Strangers with Candy. What weird-ass movies.

4:25 - an hour to go. Just got served 800th meal of flight. We really are a big group of eaters. Find it funny that United's version of a meal/snack was roll with butter, ham and cheese; potato chips, and a twix bar. Was glad to have purchased some raw seeds before getting on the plane. Whoa on the sugars and complex carbs. Hello blood-sugar spike for most of these folks...followed by hunger again. Oh well!

No sleep on this flight. Thought Tylenol pm was a bad idea for day flight. Will be lucky to make it to 9 tonight. So tired.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

10% battery left. 25 min to descending commences. Home sweet home soon.

Love you, Europe. See you next time.


No comments: