I've never believed in soul mates when it comes to relationships. Some people think that you search your whole life looking for that one person, that 'soul mate' to complete you.
I think that's crap. How is that possible for people that never get married? Or people that get married and then are widowed and marry again? What about people who meet their significant other in elementary school in their 100 person town, when others meet theirs while travelling through a remote part of the Sahara.
It's just not logical, to me.
That's not to say that I don't believe in soul mates. I definitely do. But for me, they have a different definition. It is not that, "you complete me" love. It's my best and dearest friends. The people that know me the best. The people that can predict, love, and tolerate my opinions, attitudes, laughter and affection. The people I can sit in a room with for hours, not saying a word and enjoy every second of the interaction. The people who's shoulder I use for tissues when crying, who's beds I borrow when I don't want to be alone, who believe in and depend on me.
This is usually unpopular b/c we've been told since birth that we're supposed to find that 'someone,' that SOUL MATE and live happily ever after. But, it looks like at least one popular mind agreed with me.
"What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies." --Aristotle
Thank you Aristotle, for proving my point....much more efficiently. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment