Friday, January 2, 2009

2008: A Year in Review (beware: its a long one)

2008 was one of the most bittersweet years I've experienced. There were extreme lows and even more extreme highs that kept this roller coaster of a life interesting all year long. Let's review:

January - I started the year off with a trip to Seattle for the annual National Sales Meeting. A week of meetings, partying, workshops, partying, and more partying gave me the opportunity to spend time with my beloved co-workers - an opportunity, as it turns out, I wouldn't have again.

February - February rolled around and was just kind of "business as usual." I spent a couple weekends in Tahoe and tried to be with my friends as much as possible as my work situation worsened.

March - March was an exciting month for some of my loved ones. My sister, who had been talking about it for years, officially decided to teach abroad (in the Middle East!) after attending a conference in Seattle. She would leave in August on her 2+ year adventure!

April - My sister's timing was ironic considering I would soon be welcoming home our beloved Peanut (Katie) from her 2.5 year stint in Ecuador with the Peace Corps. She returned to the states at the beginning of April and we instantly threw her back into her American lifestyle. Luckily she fought us off and reminded us that she shouldn't revert back, but continue moving forward, remembering all experiences.

May - May was a busy month! As Shannon and Niel's nuptials drew closer, the events leading up to them started to transpire. The bachelorette trip to Vegas was one to remember, but as we all know - what happens there, stays there. Let's just say that fun-loving girls had lots of drinks, good food, and even better music to keep us entertained all weekend.

I also was fortunate enough to travel to New Jersey for work to host an event. Now, NJ wasn't the fortunate part (no offense, Garden-staters). The fortune came from its close proximity to, you guessed it, NYC - a place this sassy, sometimes trendy, wide-eyed girl had never been. Thus, I took an extra day and took myself to the big apple. My co-worker gave me a true NY experience my first night w/ dinner at an authentic pizza place in the Village, jazz, wine, a walk past "Carrie's" apartment in SATC...it was unforgettable. The next day, I walked myself around the city, visiting Times Square, the Top of the Rock, Rockefeller Center, Broadway, 5th Ave, etc. I wish I could have made it to the Empire State Building and Central Park...but they're there waiting for me, whenever I return.

June - In June, things continued there downward spiral at work. It seemed that no matter what I did, or how hard I worked, I wasn't doing anything right. The constant struggles with and berating from my managers was enough to make me grumpy, sad and completely discontent - states that I don't often find myself in. I felt lonely and attacked and crazy. At this point, I was convinced I was causing this situation. I sought some impromptu counseling from Shan's dad during a trip to Santa Rosa for Shan's wedding dress fitting, and he assured me that it wasn't me and that I was, in fact, being abused. At the time, I'm not sure it made me feel better b/c the questions of "why is this happening?" still remained...but sometimes, I guess, these questions don't have answers.

Luckily, June was not all bad. Because the main event for the Springs/Hildebrands was approaching quickly, there was lots of fun to be had. I hosted Shannon's Bridal Shower at her now mother-in-law's house and it was a beautiful day and a great success. If anyone needs a recipe for Summer Sangria (or regular Sangria for that matter), I'm your girl.

July - The year just shifted into warp speed at this point and this month would probably be the highlight of the year.

On July 12, 2008 Shannon and Niel tied the knot after several years of dating and co-habitating (a recipe for success, if you ask me). The best young couple I've ever known reaffirmed my belief in love, integrity, loyalty and passion, and I was ever so thankful to be a part of their day. The events leading up to (including the crazy night before) are memories that I'll cherish forever. Congratulations, once again, my dear dear friends.

Paling in comparison, was another trip, this time to a place I'd never been (but had always wanted to go) - Chicago. I had just enough time to host an event, travel to downtown, stay at the one of the oldest and biggest hotel in Chicago (the Hilton on the South Loop), take the L, and see Wrigley Field. The Cubbies were playing the Marlins in a sold out game (not uncommon). I scalped a ticket, made my way into the stadium and sucked up the nostalgia. I met some guys who were sweet enough to buy me a couple beers after realizing I, a girl (gasp!), took myself to a baseball game. After that, they rarely called me Tracy. I was "Miss California." It was way too fun. The next morning, hungover and tired, I flew out on the first flight back to SF. Farewell Chicago - until next time.

August - The month started with the California Kraft's dropping the eldest offspring off at SFO for her journey to Doha, Qatar. She was doing it! Big Sis was moving to the Middle East. While we were sad to see her go, our excitement for her was overwhelming. I was very very proud!

August is also my birthday month, and I just didn't feel like celebrating this year. While so much good was happening around me - weddings, friends, family, etc - I, personally, was struggling. My self-esteem was at an all-time low and it was increasingly hard to be happy. Unfortunately, this was even harder for the people around me to understand and I felt very alone. To my surprise, my dear coworkers showered me with cards, flowers, gifts, and love on my birthday It was a wonderful day followed by a quiet dinner with Shan w/ a beautiful homemade cake as my present. It was the nicest birthday in a long time - thanks guys.

September - Now that so many 'commitments' were behind me, I could devote even more time to my job search and it paid off. By the end of the month I was saying farewell to Dealix. This was very difficult. I have never experienced a work situation that felt more like a family to me. My coworkers were some of the most fun and amazing people I had ever met, and not being able to see them/talk to them everyday was a very hard concept to handle. But, the management situation for me was debilitating and unhealthy and I couldn't stay there any longer - it was time to move on.

October - Hallelujah! A new month, a new job, a new way of thinking. I started my new gig on the 6th and have never looked back. The people have be great and it's so nice to be appreciated and noticed. With this new situation, I started caring about myself again (in more ways than one) and I, finally, am starting to get my light back. Here's what I'm doing.

Also in October, Ashley and Leo got engaged (congratulations!) and I took a trip to SLO. My first time back in 2 years. Read more here.

November - In November we all observed our historic Presidential election take place, as well as some contradiction in CA, but regardless of the outcomes, I was just so happy to see how many of my fellow Americans finally got involved and inspired by the process. I am, and have always been, proud to be an American!

We also celebrated my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, at the Springs' this year and with Bree via Skype. It was a wonderful day and a wonderful month. Here's what I was (and still am) thankful for.

December - This was a month, holiday season, etc to remember. Bree was home, there had been lots of positive changes for my friends and me. This period of joy allowed me time to reflect back on what had been a challenging year. With lessons learned and a little wisdom earned, I can now move into 2009 with more confidence, joy, peace and motivation. Thank you 2008 and so long...

No comments: